Studio Guide / Rules / Questions & Answers
Welcome to The Glass Source Stained Glass Studio!
We hope you will enjoy your learning experience with us. Our staff and your instructor have worked hard to provide you with a safe, clean and bright learning environment so all you need to do is have fun! Following are some general guidelines about the studio, which should help you feel at home. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to share them with your instructor or a staff member.
The Studio will continue to accept registrations up to three days prior to class start date for workshops and weekly classes. Waiting lists are maintained for all classes and workshops. If space becomes available, applicants are notified; please be prepared to respond quickly to an admission offer. There is a $25 charge for any returned checks.
How to register:
- In person by email or by phone. Full Payment is due the first night of class.
- Workshops: Full payment is due to reserve a space.
- Forms of payment: Cash, Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, AMEX
- Cancelation and Refund Policy Enrollment cancelations made outside six (6) days from the day of class are eligible for a refund, less a 20% cancellation fee. Refunds will not be granted for any cancellations made inside six (6) days from the day of class, no shows, or for withdrawals during the class session. If, for any reason, it is necessary for us to cancel a class, a full refund will be given. or we may reschedule the class. To cancel a class, please contact the studio at 203.888.1616 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Studio Time:
Open studio is a time that allows you to come in and use our studio space and equipment. Open studio is on Sundays during our regular business hours 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. Please call the studio to schedule your open studio hours.
Available in our open studio time are the following tools:
Grinders, Saws, hand tools ie: Cutters, pliers etc. Extra costs are for any materials you may purchase or kiln firings.
Open studio rates are $14.00 per hour, or $10 per hour if you are enrolled in one of our six-week sessions, with a 1 hour minimum. Students are asked to sign in when they arrive.
Equipment Rental: (Aside from the torches we operate and run the kilns for you)
- Large 24″ x 39″ Oval Kiln: $75.00, Includes Thin Fire Paper
- Medium 24″ Round Kiln: $60.00, Includes Thin Fire Paper
- Small 8×8 Kilns or Quick Fire: $20.00
- Torch Rental: $25.00 per hour. Includes use of mandrels, hand tools and Annealer.
Preparation for Classes:
All students should bring notebooks to each class for taking notes and planning class projects. Students wishing to use specific tools or materials not supplied in class are responsible for obtaining these items themselves.
- Full payment for class is due at the beginning of the first class. Any materials or supplies purchased is due at the end of the workshop. In the case of 4 week courses materials should be paid for at the end of each class.
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes early for class. Students are not allowed to arrive early to work on projects. We are a working studio and use the classroom space during the day to work on our commissions and restorations.
- Please be aware that glass is sharp and you can get cut. Please be careful when taking glass from the bins, gloves and safety glasses are available for your use.
- Do not hold sheets of glass over your head to see how it illuminates. There is a light box in the studio for this purpose. Art glass can break easily unlike window glass.
- Please wear safety glasses while cutting, grinding and soldering. Safety glasses should be worn at all times as glass may still fly towards you while another classmate is working.
- Although we don’t like them, accidents do occasionally happen. A first aid kit is located in the classroom.
- Please notify the studio if you are going to be absent. To make up your class time, you can come during our open studio. The cost for this is $10 per hour if you are enrolled in a 6 week course. Open studio provides you with a space to work during non-class time. Staff will be available to answer questions however open studio is not instructed time.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in the classroom area. If you do have a drink it must be in a closed or covered container. Water is available for students.
- The Glass Source retail store provides all the tools and supplies needed to enjoy your project. Our store hours are Wednesday-Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 11-5..
- Please make purchases before class or at the end of the night.
- Please be sure to add you name to our mailing list. Our newsletter will keep you updated on upcoming classes, events and sales.
- Beginner students are welcome to use the tools provided in the studio. Please return tools etc. to their proper space.
- Please begin cleaning up 10 minutes before class ends. Return all tools to appropriate space, clear tables and put all scrap glass in the box provided. Sweep off and clean your area. When everyone helps the clean-up goes quickly and everyone gets out on time, including your instructor.
- Please be sure to wash your hands before leaving the studio.
- There is a restroom located in the gallery.
- Anyone between the age of 15 and 18 must have a parent sign the Registration Form and Emergency Contact Sheet to participate in studio activities.
- Smoking is not allowed in any area of the studio or building.
- No pets are allowed in the studio.
- The correct eye protection is required when working in any area of the studio, with glass or assisting others.
- Appropriate clothing should be worn at all times when working in any area of the studio, e.g. no flammable fabrics such as polyester or rayon while working with the kilns or torch.
- Appropriate footwear is required when working in any area of the studio; shoes must have closed toes and backs. No flip flops or open toe shoes.
- If you have long hair you must tie it back when working in any area of the studio.
SAFETY & SECURITY (fire extinguishers, exits, bathroom)
- In the event of a fire, please leave the building immediately through the nearest available exit.
- All accidents, no matter how minor, should be reported immediately to a staff member. We have a large selection of Band-Aids!
- Any broken and/or defective equipment should be reported immediately to a staff member.
- Do not leave valuables unattended. The studio is not responsible for theft or damage to personal articles or work left in the facility.
- Students must wear natural fiber clothing and long hair must be tied back.
- No open toe shoes